I make this Kale salad pretty regularly.
It’s prefect for working in as a side dish or as the foundation of a meal. It’s incredibly healthy, and the best part about it, it’s incredibly easy. And you can add all sorts of ingredients to fit your mood or whatever you have on hand that day
Here is my recipe, but as you will find out after making it once, you’ll never need a recipe again.
Basic Kale Salad
- A bunch of your favorite type of kale chopped into small pieces. You can even chiffonade kale if the leaves are mostly intact. (I have pictured Lacinato Kale. You could also use a bag of the pre-washed stuff. just pick out those pesky stems.)
- 1/4 to 1/2 head of Red Cabbage, shredded
- Salt and Pepper
- The juice from two lemons and maybe an orange if you feel like it
- A few splashes of your favorite vinegar
- A good drizzle of olive oil (maybe a 1/4 cup)
Okay, so here is the important part. SEASON YOUR GREENS FIRST. like just salt and pepper those babies. Just like most things in life, greens always taste better with a little bit of salt. This will also help tenderize the kale and cabbage.
Another important step. After you dress your salad with the lemon juice and olive oil, let it sit covered in the fridge for as long as you can allow. Over night is great, but a few hours will also be okay.
Last but not least, toss in your delicious add ins. The salad I took a picture of had mandarin oranges, sunflower seeds, and golden raisins because that is what I had on hand that night!
I also love using
- Pine nuts
- Pomegranate seeds
- Parmesan cheese
- Diced Apples
- Gorgonzola Cheese
- Dried Cranberries
- And the list could go on forever….
Enjoy, and cheers to good health!