I grew up on no-bake cookies. They are as addicting as crack, and whenever my mom ( Hi mom!) made them, they were gone within two days. My sister and I would come home from school and just ravage the cookie jar. Looking back, I’d be surprised if my dad ever got to eat one.
The combination of chocolate, peanut butter, and hearty oats should be considered second to the Holy Trinity. I’m pretty sure Jesus would agree with me on that point.
There is one catch though…this seemingly healthy cookie isn’t really that healthy at all. aside from some fiber from the oats,the amount of sugar, butter and milk in the recipe kind of negates the “good for you” part.
In honor of my most beloved homemade cookie, I decided to make a healthy snack that could compare to the classic. I think I came pretty darn close. I call them POWER BALLS. Not only is it fun to say, but they are dense and hearty and are really suitable as a snack before a run or a workout without weighing you down.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Power Balls
Makes about 12
- 15 pitted dates
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 TBSP unrefined coconut oil
- 3 TBSP water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp honey
- pinch of salt
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until all ingredients look well incorporated. Squeeze a little between your fingers and if it holds together, you are done. If it’s still crumbly, try adding a little bit more water.
- Scoop the mixture out using a tablespoon. Each portion should be one heaping tablespoon.
- Roll into balls and refrigerate. Enjoy!