Many bakers claim that they have the best chocolate chip cookie recipe and I’m sure they are all pretty good. How hard can it be to mess up something that is so classic and simple?
HOWEVER. Despite all of the great recipes out there, I think I may have landed on THE BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe because it’s…
1. Very easy to make
2. It’s simply delicious.
My criteria for making a good chocolate chip cookie comes down the saltiness and the texture.
I want a hint of salt because it enhances the overall flavor and balances out the sweetness. I also have a not-so-secret weapon ingredient: Instant Espresso. I’ll never make a chocolate chip cookie without it. You don’t taste the coffee, but it brings out the chocolatiness of the cookie.
The texture of the cookie can change drastically based on how much flour you use, how long you bake it, what kind of fat you use, etc. I think a good chocolate chip cookie has to be soft and gooey in the center and crisp on the edges. If you are looking for a crunchy or cakey cookie recipe, you came to the wrong place.
Let’s get down to business.
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Yields about 24 -30 cookies | Overall baking time 10-12 minutes | Preparation Time 15 minutes
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (you can substitute light brown)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups of all purpose flour. Spoon and leveled.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 tsp of instant espresso powder
- 1 bag of your favorite chocolate chips + half a bar of your favorite chocolate bar cut into chunks
(I used a 12 oz bag of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips and half a milk chocolate bar. = about 14 oz of chocolate total)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter on low heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, measure out both sugars. Use a whisk to combine.
- Whisk in melted butter until it’s fully incorporated.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, spoon and level 3 cups of flour.
- Whisk in baking soda, salt and instant espresso powder.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Switch to a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon to combine, careful not to overmix as that would develop the gluten and make a tough cookie.
- Add your chocolate and stir to combine.
- Scoop the cookie dough on a prepared baking sheet. I prefer a 3 Tablespoon scoop or an ice cream scoop size. The size of your cookies is totally up to you and what you prefer!
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. If you are baking two pans at a time, space the racks out evenly and switch the pans halfway during the bake to get an even bake. Alternatively, you can bake the cookies one pan at a time to ensure everything comes out the same.
- Cool and enjoy!