I love comfort food. I also love comfort food that doesn’t require a lot of fuss to make. Take this recipe for example. The ingredients are pretty basic, and you might even have most of them on hand. If not, well then, it’s time to run to the store!
For this Creamy Lemon Pasta with Chicken, the slow cooker does most of the work for you to create a beautiful, rich sauce. Most of the action happens at the end of cooking when you are ready to cook your pasta. It’s that simple.
Try it and let me know how you like it in the comments section below!
- 2-3 chicken breasts (about 1.5lbs) boneless skinless chicken thighs would also be good
- 1.5 cups sodium free or low sodium chicken stock
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons (3 if they are on the small side)
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 lb package of Linguine (or any pasta you have on hand)
- 1 cup of pasta water
- Fresh herbs like flat leaf Italian Parsley, Basil, Dill, or mint for garnish (optional but highly recommended)
- In your slow cooker, add the chicken stock, lemon juice and zest, dried herbs, garlic, cream cheese and butter.
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker, gently toss to coat it in the liquid and seasonings. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for 3.5-4 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker down to warm (or whatever it’s lowest setting is)
- Boil your pasta in salted water. Boil until Al Dente. Do not overcook! The pasta will continue to soften in the next step.
- Set aside 1 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Use a whisk to break up an lumps of cream cheese in the sauce. Slice the chicken into smaller serving size pieces.
- Add the drained pasta to the slow cooker and completely work it into the sauce. Don’t worry if it looks too soupy at first, the pasta will soak up a lot of the excess liquid and thicken things up. If the sauce gets too thick, add some of the pasta water to thin it out. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker and garnish with fresh herbs before serving!